Pages

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

May Favorites

Wes Period - "Highs & Lows"
 Wes Period is the poster child of inner city artists who are grinding. This song is depiction of the struggles you go through in order for to accomplish your goals. The instrumentation is dark and eerie, but it is in perfect correlation with the hopeful lyrics- which just adds to his story about his current journey.
Favorite Line: All these highs and lows is all I need to know. Some day we will grow. Leave behind the mess we made.


Kehlani - "Runnin' (Interlude)"
Kehlani is becoming my favorite artist right now. Her new project, "You Should be Here", is one that you can play consecutively and repeatedly and not get tired of it. This song in particular is one of my favorites from there. It has the subtly cockiness I love in a female artist that gives you a sense of strong sensibility.
Favorite Line: Does it make you nervous I'm not afraid to say what I want? Does it put fear into your heart that I know where I started far from where I begun?


Alessia Cara - "Here"
 Newcomer Alessia Cara took the indie scene by storm with this song about the struggles of being an introvert. This the song that every introvert can relate to and has been on repeat for me.
Favorite Line: Honestly I'd rather be somewhere with my people. We can kick it and just listen to some music with a message like we usually do.


Yeek - "Sad Summer"
This song is so ridiculously chill you don't even care that "it's gonna be a sad summer". With it's simplistic lyrics and trippy composition it is the perfect prediction to what this summer may entail.
Favorite Line: I'm dying from the heat. Just take me to the beach. Take me to the deep end. I'm trying to fall asleep.

Flying Lotus - "Transmolecularization"

Flylo shared this unreleased outtake from his album "You're Dead!" track on his BBC Residency show and it is amazing. It is a sultry space track that features jazz artist Kamasi Washington. I am dying to hear the full because it is that good. You literally can't find a link to this song anywhere surprisingly, but it starts at about the 5:00min mark of his set.